(On-line Virtual Workshop)
Prerequisites: Part 1 & 2 or basic DBT knowledge
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is a broad-based cognitive behavioural approach specifically developed for the treatment of individuals who struggle with severe emotion and behaviour dysregulation. DBT’s skill modules are empirically supported and have been found to help clients increase effective coping behaviours. In contrast to Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Courses (Parts 1 & 2) which focus on the application of comprehensive DBT, this two-day course will cover the essential elements of DBT’s core skills including: (1) Mindfulness; (2) Distress Tolerance; (3) Emotion Regulation; and (4) Interpersonal Effectiveness. In addition to learning about each of the skills, participants will learn how to teach and strengthen skills, deal with objections to skills acquisition or use, incorporate skills into individual sessions, and structure skills training groups. Participants will have the opportunity to practice skills in the workshop and learn through lecture, role-plays, and discussion to illustrate teaching points. This workshop is developed for health care professionals with and without knowledge of DBT. It is designed for individuals who are interested in learning how to implement DBT skills training either as an adjunct to other treatment approaches or within the context of a comprehensive DBT program.
- Understand the role of skills training within the context of comprehensive DBT
- Understand the evidence supporting the effectiveness of DBT skills training
- Learn the content of four DBT skills training modules: Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Emotion Regulation, and Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Discuss effective strategies for dealing with objections in skills training or reluctance to use skills
- List effective methods for increasing skill acquisition
- Learn how to structure a skills training group
Participants are advised to come with:
- DBT Skills Training Manual by Dr. Marsha M. Linehan. (Publisher: The Guilford Press, )
- DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets by Dr. Marsha M. Linehan. (Publisher: The Guilford Press, )
About The Presenter
Dr. Krystle MartinPh.D., C.Psych. Psychologist/Instructor
Dr. Krystle Martin is a clinical and forensic psychologist registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Dr. Martin received comprehensive training in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) during her doctoral internship at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) under Dr. Shelley McMain in... Read More
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy – Skills TrainingPresented by: Dr. Krystle Martin, Ph.D., C.Psych. Friday November 27, 2020 (9am - 5pm)Saturday November 28, 2020 (9am - 5pm) Regular $394.37 ($349 + HST) Early Bird * $371.77 ($329 + HST) Group Rate ** $383.07 ($339 + HST) Student Rate *** $276.85 ($245 + HST)
Note: All prices are in Canadian dollars and include HST (13%).
*To receive the Early Bird rate, you must register for the workshop one month prior to workshop.
**Group rate applies to single registration via mail or fax of three of more individuals; online registration not available for this rate.
*** To receive the Student rate, you must provide a photocopy of your student card from an accredited academic institution when registering. Must register directly with office online registration not available for this rate.